As Americans all around the world celebrate our independence today, we will be doing so by grilling, snacking, three-legged racing and shooting off beautiful firework displays. I want to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day but also a safe one. I have listed a few tips below to help prevent food borne illnesses during your celebration whether its a picnic, BBQ or snacking at your city’s center.
- Make sure you keep hand sanitizer on hand and use before each meal or snack. Hand to mouth contact is one of the number one causes of germ transfers so be sure to keep those digits clean.
- When grilling or preparing any meat be sure to cook it thoroughly to kill any bacteria that the meat may harbor.
- If you take cold or hot dish to a picnic or party keep the dish cold or hot by insulated bags and ice packs. If you don’t have any insulation to help with this simply take the food inside if the whether starts to affect the food’s temperature.
- Use a new plate or platter each time you pick up new food to help prevent cross contamination.
- Keep in mind when you are celebrating today that not everyone takes precautions when preparing food and use your judgement on what you decide to eat, drink or snack on. It can be the difference in a HAPPY HEALTHY FOURTH or a sickly fourth.
Enjoy today wherever you may be and remember to thank those who so graciously and selflessly fight for our freedom and our country.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!